Friday, February 14, 2014

JE Labs PP2A3


Between '92-'93 I built a few PP2A3s based on the schematic below. Having been impressed with the performance of the Eico HF87 and HF60 amplifier, I thought the driver circuit would do justice to 2A3s.

8 watts Class A

!!!WARNING!!! 

The voltages found in this circuit can be lethal, build at your own risk!!!


I built these amps on a pair of Heath W4 chassis with intact chokes, power transformers from Scott 99 integrated and Peerless 16309 output transformers from Heath W5 amps. This was my reference amp driving Spendor LS3/5As until I started R&D on SE amps.


Fisher 500B output transformers and HK500 power transformer 


Same iron as above but different chassis layout


ST70 chassis with outboard 2.5V filament transformers

-----------------------------------------------

Historically significant PP2A3 amplifier

The Feral Eye

 Featured on the cover of Sound Practices Issue 14

While visiting NYC, I heard this pair of amps in Ding's listening room

No comments:

Post a Comment